TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:52:39 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

Hi Boris,

On 23 May 2002, at 11:07, boris petkovic wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 2 more things  to throw in  pot.
> In all these mind-bending problems with arcing sparks
> we are looking for actually dangerous situations where
> field exceeds critical value 26~28 kV/cm.
> Ie. seems reasonable that  such field is first to be
> blamed for inital trigering of racing sparks phenomena
> (wherever and whenever in system throut process
> ).Mechanisms and reasons,as we already know,are of
> various type.
> I wouldn't know wether the following is possible ,and
> if,to what extent:Some coilers do not ground their
> primaries,so is there possibility that whole primary
> conductor including secondary of power transformer
> could be electrostaticaly charged to say 20-30KV DC ?
> I was also wondering about how  inaccuracy in winding
> of space wound coils affect transients tru secondary.
> For instance ,990 turns of 1000 turns secondary are
> separated with same distance ,but uncoutios coiler
> (who hasn't got winding machine) makes mistake and
> somwhere in middle of resonator 10 turns winds as if
> it were close wound system.

I built all my spacewound coils without a winding machine but can
safely say that the variations in wire spacing are minimal. The coils
were wound by bifilar winding two lengths of the same gauge wire
(important) and then removing one of the lengths incrementally while
applying varnish to hold the winding.

Regards,
malcolm