TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:16:33 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs (multiple ring idea)

--part1_177.8a08a3d.2a1c1331_boundary

In a message dated 5/21/02 5:43:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla123@pacbell.net writes:

Bart, all,

I wonder if it would have helped if the wire spiraled up to the toroid,
instead of going straight up?

In any case, your comment reminded
me of something that occurred with my 36" spark tube coil.
Generally, I ran the VTTC without any toroid at first as I was
increasing the spark length during coil development.  I found
that when the spark output reached 29", it started emitting a
29" or so spark
from the top turn, rather than from the breakout point which was
positioned about 4" above the secondary.  The secondary was
about 6" or 7" dia.  I placed a thin corona ring about 1/2" above
the secondary, and this stopped the sparks from emitting from
the top turn.  The  corona ring was formed from 1/8" copper
tubing.  When the coil was complete, I kept this corona
ring in place, since it stopped any "side flaring", even when I obtained
40" sparks without any toroid.  A toroid didn't increase the
spark length on this tube coil.  But a toroid does increase the
spark length by about 1" on my 20" spark smaller tube coil.

Cheers,
John