TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:02:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Racing arcs

Boris wrote:
> No. Usually final voltage will be higher than that...
> you are forgetting that SPACE charge around toroid will contribute..

Yes!  I've completely ignored space charge, and that could alter the
picture quite a bit.

> Discharging only clamps max field at the
> surface,but not voltage in such a drastical manner.

Indeed.  Space charge around the topload will reduce the surface
field strength for a given topvolts.  Therefore if the streamer
dynamics acts to clamp the surface field at 26kV/cm, it will not
clamp the topvolts if significant space charge is present. Topvolts
will continue to rise causing more streamer-feet of charge to join the
space charge as necessary to limit the surface to 26kV/cm.  In that
case, the topvolts still will not rise past the Vtop given in the
web page tables, and nor will the coil surface fields rise past the
values given in the animations, but it does reduce or destroy the
usefulness of the 'breakdown ratio' that I defined in a previous post,
which relied on perfect topvolts clamping.

Instead, with space charge, the dynamics will apply only a very soft
clamping to the topvolts - the V/Q curve will not have a sharp knee,
but instead a rounded levelling off.

The issue of space charge certainly complicates things!  It's going
to be even more interesting to see some accurate topvolts measurements
from a breaking-out coil.

I'll have to think about this development a little more.  But one
thing comes to mind - this should imply that the streamer roots
on the topload will try to space themselves as far apart from each
other as they can, because as one streamer forms, its addition to
the space charge above that region of the topload will tend to
suppress further new streamers in that area.  Only away from that
root will the surface field attempt to exceed 26kV/cm and start
a new streamer.