TSSP: List Archives

From: FutureT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:49:48 EDT
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

--part1_175.8763639.2a17e02c_boundary

In a message dated 5/18/02 3:31:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla123@pacbell.net writes:

response and new test and calcs,

> >> It would be interesting if Bart would run his coil at a lower power,
>> so that he gets just one streamer, then tune to make that
>> streamer as long as possible, then see if it "scales" with my
>> TT-42;  same freq offset, same ratio of top volts to toroid breakout
>> voltage
>> stress, etc.  This may be especially meaningful if he is also
>> using 120 bps, as I am.
> Yes, I'll do this and at 120 bps.

Bart, Paul, all,

I did a new test using the 6" x 24" toroid, and tuned outwards
at 21.7 turns, there was no breakout even with a breakout point,
and no racing sparks.  I suppose the coupling is lower though.

The TT-42 with the smaller toroid needs a larger freq tuning
offset.   This makes sense, because the the frequency will
shift more when the total Csec+top is smaller for a given
spark length.

Since a larger toroid for a given spark length requires less
mistuning, this should give a theoretical efficiency advantage,
during pre-breakout, and during pre-full streamer length times,
I would think.  This may be one of the benefits of using a
larger toroid in general.

> >> I wonder if I'd see much difference if I tune at 1/2 turn intervals,
>> instead of only at 1 turn intervals as I'm presently doing?
> You may or may not. It's a 50-50 shot, but it would be good to know for
> sure. John, regarding your measurements for examining how fast the gap
> quenched, what method did you use to scope this out? Off tssp may be
> appropriate as it's a side question.

I'll have to cut away some insulation for the 1/2 turn positions and
try that.  If I find a better tune position, some of the frequencies above
may change.  To scope out the quench-times, I just pick up the secondary
waveform with an antenna, and I observe on the scope display, where the
secondary free-ringdown begins.

Cheers,
John