TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 09:47:36 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Topload breakout potentials

Hello Paul, all,

On 24 May 2002, at 8:14, Paul wrote:

> Malcolm Watts wrote:
>
> > We are talking about direct connection without disturbing the
> > external fields aren't we?
>
> Oh yes.
>
> > Somehow, we have to construct a probe which can go up the centre of
> > the coil
>
> Yes, then the coil will shield the external field from the divider,
> and we just have to shield the divider from the coil!

Agreed, and I had that in mind. In effect, a thin coaxial probe with
good insulation between the centre wire and shield and between the
shield and the windings. I realize that this is not a simple problem
to deal with. There is of course the capacitance between the central
wire and shield, not to mention distributed inductance. The
disturbances would be reduced as the coil diamater got larger
relative to the probe's diameter. Just thinking about the probe
structure: the insulating material must have a low dielectric
constant and be as low a loss as possible. It may be that the
dielectric shielding the central wire from its shield and the
dielectric surrounding the conductive probe wire shield may
themselves have to be made coaxial so that gaps (preferably vacuum)
exist between layers, the idea being that permittivity and hence
distributed capacitance between the central wire and shield is
further reduced. The probe can of course be both tested and modelled
at operating frequency independently of the coil being measured to
quantify its characteristics so these may be factored in to the
actual coil measurements. Further modelling with the probe
"virtually" in place may quantify its disturbance on various types of
windings.
     Sorry for thinking out loud - I'm trying to inject ideas so that
someone who is currently in a better position than I may have a first
shot at constructing something. I have too many irons in the fire to
be able to dedicate every waking moment to this project (which I
would just love to be able to be first at succeeding with). I realize
we want to make progress and this is no time for one-upmanship. I've
realized for some time that this measurement is probably the ultimate
frontier in TC research.

Regards,
malcolm