TSSP: List Archives

From: "Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D."
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:21:11 -0500
Subject: [TSSP] Measurements

Greetings All:
    I've been in lurk mode for quite some time thanks to numerous family
committments.

    I, too, have several Pearson wideband current transformers (CT) and they
are great for measuring tesla coil currents.  I have measured secondary base
currents in excess of 50 amperes on a large coil system.  Peak primary
currents are much higher.  I have the 2100, the 410 and another large bore
high current type (either the 101 or 110, not sure right now).  I hope to
set up a pinger soon (have a nice small HV supply, cap and Victoreen spark
gaps) but am in need of a method to digitize my crappy analog scope signal
or directly digitize the signal from the CT's.  Anyone know of a good, cheap
functional A/D for a PC or digital scope to accomplish this?

     I would like to mirror a small coil system we have data on already so I
can compare my measurements with others.  Any suggestions on who's system to
mirror?  I have the necessary wire and coil forms to make up most anything.
Once I have confidence in my measurements, I can help look at the effect of
H/D ratios or the like.

     Sloan measured the top voltage of a vacuum tube tesla coil linear
accelerator system by examining the x-ray spectrum generated when sparks
from the top of the coil struck a tungsten target.  I may be able to set up
something similar.  I measure x-rays routinely at work and know all the
radiation safety requirements, etc.  I will try to look at this in the near
future using a small coil.
     Some type of indirect method like ionization of gas (length of a spark
in a tube filled with argon gas or the number of neon tubes in a chain that
can be lit) or generation of x-rays may be the best approach.  My attempts
using capacitive dividers has been a dismal failure due to poor frequency
response and arc-overs.

Regards,
Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Radiology and Biomedical
Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH USA