TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 00:09:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Top V Probe Design (was RE: [TSSP] Topload breakoutpotentials)

Mark, Terry, Paul,

After more thinking about the problems plus Paul's analysis of the
parasitic capacitance effects in the compensated divider, I am forced to
agree with Paul - the design Terry is proposing looks to be an elegant
approach that should solve most problems. While calibration may be a bit
of a challenge, it should be manageable.

One other challenge still remains: we need to insure that we prevent any
induced EMF's or circulating eddy currents from raising havoc with the
measurements. This means that we'd likely NOT want to use a circular
"bases" for the pickup and ground cylinders, since these would introduce
undesirable circulating currents (not to mention losses!). The facing
edges of the slotted cylinders will have an induced EMF of hundreds or
even thousands of volts. To prevent circulating currents and balance the
e-field contributions, we should pick off the signal and ground signals
from a _single_ point on each cylinder that's located 180 degrees
opposite from the slit.

BTW, I had a thought as to how we might reduce eddy current losses.
Suppose we wind the pickup and ground shield "cylinders" as continuous
windings using magnet wire, holding the windings in place with varnish
or polyurethane. All of the wires would then cut along a vertical line
up the side of the winding using a small handheld grinder. Then,
carefully strip the wire's insulation along a vertical line 180 degrees
opposite from the vertical slit just created. Finally, a wire would then
be soldered all along the stripped length of the winding to provide a
common contact point for the "cylinder" - each wire would be connected
only at one point to prevent unwanted current loops. The result would be
virtually perfect electrodes (from an electrostatic/capacitive
standpoint) which also keep eddy currents and EMF fields at bay.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman