TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:49:57 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Re: Top V Probe Design

Hi Paul,

The commercial ones are like:

http://www.pearsonelectronics.com/Pages/Capacitive_Voltage_Divider.html

Reading between the lines...  They seem to like a larger center conductor
probably to limit corona in oil discharge around the center pin.  The edges of
the center conductor have to have large enough radiuses so that breakdown in
the oil does not occur.  I also note the easy network Pearson uses to match a
50 ohm cable.   But a 2500 volt scope probe is safer.  I note they float the
output ground for isolation.

I checked Ebay but I only ended up bidding on three more darn current monitors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1733460750

I should learn to control myself :o))  They look a little rough but for 1 cent
on the dollar, can't go wrong.  Spray paint does wonders ;-)  If anyone want's
any, I may have three more than I need tomorrow ;-))

A coaxial capacitor has a classic formula of:

C = 2 pi e / (ln (b/a))  F/m

e0 = 8.8542 E-12 F/m
er = 2.25

If I had 1/8 inch spacing between the shield and pickup cylinder I get about
1.76n F/m or about 450pF for the setup shown.

If the pin were 1/4 inch, I would get about 8pF.  So only a 1:56 voltage
divider.  However, there is a trick I "think" they play.  They simply add a
fixed cap (in those little boxes).  Like 7.5nF mica.  The boxes are also where
the spark gaps and matching resistor goes (50 ohms to match the cable and a 50
ohm termination).  Then we get a 1000:1 ratio.  Simple calculation demonstrates
that they can't get like a 10,000:1 ratio just from the geometry.  Pad caps
must be used.

BTW - For the voltage divider folks.  Check out US patent 5107201