TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:02:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Re: Top V Probe Design

Terry wrote:

> For the Top-V Probe, here is the latest design:
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/HVProbe-2.gif

I've been a bit busy with some other stuff for the last week or
two, but so far I haven't been able to imagine any probe
geometry that's going to be better than these coaxial cylinders.

The tricky bit remains finding some dimensions that will
stand up to the Vtop without breakdown.  I'm not sure it's
quite there yet.  The wider secondary sure helps.

> The 1 inch diameter rod has a breakdown at about 40kV in air
> but I figure oil is 10X better so the diameter should be OK
> to 400kV.

Might only be 5 times better.  Any idea what to use for oil?
Bit outside my field this, so not sure what to suggest.