TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:01:22 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Re: Top V Probe Design

Bert wrote:

>  On page 288 Sarjeant presents a chart...

> 550 kV/cm       R-Temp
> 500 kV/cm       20 weight motor oil(!)
> 400 kV/cm       Water white mineral oil (Macrol 2930)
> 310 kV/cm       Mineral Transformer Oil

> significant derating should be applied - at
> least a factor of 4-5.

For coaxial cylinders, the radial field strength is

 E = Q/(2*pi*epsilon*Rx)
   = C*V/(2*pi*epsilon*Rx)

where Q, C is charge, capacitance per unit length,
Rx is some radius between inner and outer, and V is
the potential across the cylinder.

So V = 2*pi*epsilon*Rx*E/C

and with C given by

C = 2*pi*epsilon/ln(R1/R2)

where R1, R2, are the outer, inner radii, we get

 V = Rx*E*ln(R1/R2)

for the volts across the cylinder at which the field at
radius Rx is E volts/metre.

Terry wrote:

> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/HVProbe-2.gif

For R2 = 0.5" = 0.0127m;
    R1 = 3.0" = 0.0762m;
and setting E = 6000kV/m at Rx = R1, we have a max
working voltage of

 V = 0.0127 * 6000 * ln(0.0762/0.0127)
   = 136 kV

based on breakdown of the inner capacitance.

For the outer outer shield to the secondary coil, we have

   R2 = 3.0" = 0.0762m;
   R1 = 5.5" = 0.1397m;

  V = 0.0762 * 6000 * ln(0.1397/0.0762)
    = 277 kV.

So the system is likely to be limited to quite small
toploads due to breakdown of the inner capacitance.

A larger inner electrode would improve things a little, eg

   R2 = 1.5" = 0.0381m;
   R1 = 3.0" = 0.0762m;

 V = 0.0381 * 6000 * ln(0.0762/0.0381)
   = 158 kV

but then the total capacitance goes up quite a bit unless
the inner electrode is made a lot shorter.

I have a modification to suggest, which I'll sketch out
and post later today.  Unfortunately it's quite a large
modification...