TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:49:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Re: Top V Probe Design

Paul, Terry,

Was just checking Sarjeant ("High Power Electronics") for insulating
oils used in high voltage air core tuned transformers for high voltage
pulsed power applications. On page 288 Sarjeant presents a chart
comparing dielectric strength versus electrode spacing for various
dielectric fluids that was originally generated by Sandia National Labs
for a 1.5 uSec dual resonant pulse shape. While not an exact match, it
should provide useful comparative data for the voltage divider.

The estimated impulse breakdown strength from the chart follows:

550 kV/cm	R-Temp
500 kV/cm	20 weight motor oil(!)
400 kV/cm	Water white mineral oil (Macrol 2930)
310 kV/cm	Mineral Transformer Oil

The above is for single-shot impulse and assumes that any streamers or
gaseous byproducts have dissipated between successive impulses. Since we
want to run repetitively, significant derating should be applied - at
least a factor of 4-5. So, using a worst case design with a peak stress
of 60-75 kV/cm should do the trick. In addition to minimizing E-field
concentration via large radius electrodes and symmetrical geometry,
another thing to look at is closer matching between the permittivities
of the solid dielectric and oil to minimize E-field stresses at triple
points. For example, LDPE would be a better match than PVC or Mylar for
mineral oil and R-Temp (all above oils have an Er of ~ 2.2).

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman