TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:21:57 +0100
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: [TSSP] Experiment 7

Hi Malcolm, All,

> Was ground resistance been checked as readings were taken?

No.  I wonder if those small rapid q variations seen when outdoors
would correlate with ground resistance?   I guess that's just
one of loads of experiments suggested by those results. It's
hard to know where to start really.

> The variations are huge compared with what I saw in an air-
> conditioned environment...

I'd like to look at a coil installed in a faraday cage to isolate
it as far as possible from the wider environment.  That would be
at the other extreme compared to the first experiments.

The most important thing for me to come out of this is that I
no longer worry too much about not being able to calculate the
coil's Q factor.  Having seen that there are so many other
factors involved apart from just the coil's intrinsic loss, it
seems less important to try to calculate this.

> Thanks Paul and Terry for all the work you've put into this:

No problem - we're just picking up the good work you started
back in 1995.  And this ringdown stuff also ties up nicely with
what John Couture on pupman is trying to achieve with lamp
tests, if we can just steer things onto firmer ground.

We seem to have two major irons in the fire at the moment - things
depending on ping analysis, and things depending on topvolts
measurement.  The former seems to be the more mature technology
right now, and offers the immediate possibility of some rewarding
experiments.

For example, I see some questions raised on pupman about dielectric
losses, and we can use a test coil, pinger, and tcma to test tube
samples inside a coil.  The professionals seem to do this kind of
stuff too, for example

 http://lemp.snu.ac.kr/work/dielectric.html

We can also look at primary losses, gap and proximity.  Gary
sets a good example with his

 http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary_resistance.htm

Work like that is the bedrock on which solid progress is made.

And talking of the profs, Charles Sullivan has another paper out,
investigating the use of 60-100kHz HV coupled to power lines
to de-ice them,

 http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/other/inductor/hfdeice.pdf

Now there's an interesting applet for a CW TC in the megawatt
range. I never realised ice was so absorbent at these frequencies.
We saw some pretty wild Q behaviour towards the end of expt2 when
everything iced up.  I won't bother to try the ice dielectric
caps for my coil then.

Cheers All,