TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 05:28:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Terry,

Excellent work!! A couple of brief comments now (just leaving for a ham
fest ~150 miles away)...

The polarity reversal for larger diameter terminals is to be expected -
long streamers should preferentially propagated when the HV terminal is
positive with respect to ground. Although you can force leaders to
propagate from a negative HV terminal (or a cloud, as in lightning), it
takes considerably more voltage to propagate a negative leader than a
positive one.

The difference between the smaller and larger spikes may be the
difference between streamer (or corona) bursts and actual leader
formation/propagation. Streamer bursts are very fast, but "cold"
discharges that are the precursor to the formation of a hotter
conductive current channel (leader). The last jpeg of video frames shows
the difference between the two discharge forms beautifully - look
especially at the very last frame versus most of the others. The fainter
discharges are very fast (10's of nanoseconds) streamer bursts - these
should have ampere level currents. The hotter leaders (what most coilers
mistakenly call streamers) are fed by larger impulses of current during
propagation as well as displacement currents to/from the leader
capacitance. You can also see the fan or streamers that feed the tips of
the leaders in many of the shots. Great stuff!!

What would be extremely valuable now would be "single shot" ringup
events coincident with video of the same events so that we can begin to
correlate the form(s) of the discharge with corresponding current
distribution/amplitudes. This could be followed by multiple bangs to
look at just how bang-to-bang propagation works.

This is fantastic stuff, Terry!

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--