TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:06:22 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Paul,

At 11:00 AM 9/12/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>I modeled the coil details to get:
>
>With toroid: 37.752 kHz
>With toroid + rod: 37.479 kHz
>With toroid + rod + 1.833 sphere: 37.138 kHz
>
>I'm not sure whether rod and sphere were in place when you pinged
>with toroid.  Assuming they were, we get

Nope.  that was just the bare toroid without the ball.

>    Measured      Modelled     Error
>f1:  37.801 kHz     37.138 kHz  -1.7%
>f3: 113.550 kHz    113.929 kHz  +0.3%
>f5: 171.773 kHz    174.632 kHz  +1.7%
>
>so perhaps rod and sphere weren't in place?
>
>Specific surface field gradient is highest on the sphere,
>at 0.300 kV/cm/kV for the largest sphere,  thus breakout would
>be at a topvolts of 26/0.3 = 87 kV topvolts.   The smallest sphere
>gives 0.479 kV/cm/kV to give a breakout at 26/0.479 = 54kV.
>
>These can be referred to the base current and primary voltage,
>
>                Vtop    Ibase       Vpri
>                (peak)  (peak)     (peak)
>Small sphere:   54kV    0.6 amps    80 V
>Large sphere:   87kV    0.9 amps   130 V
>
>So by my reckoning, all three spheres should have been breaking out
>comfortably with the base currents shown in S1-S3.gif.
>
>--
>Paul Nicholson,
>--

I got the response of the fiber optics as good as I could get:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/Tek00000.gif

Not really sure what it "is" but it seems tame and makes sense.  The scale is
1amp of streamer (ball) current = 24.4mV on the scope.

So I tried to find the breakout on each ball and got the following:

#1 Small Ball

Vfire = 119 VDC

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/Tek00001.gif
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/TEK00000.CSV

#2 Medium Ball

Vfire = 191 VDC

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/Tek00002.gif
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/TEK00001.CSV

#3 Big Ball

Vfire = 226 VDC

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/Tek00003.gif
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/TEK00002.CSV

With the Big Ball, I spread the scale to get the profile of the spark.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913/Tek00004.gif

The spark did jump around a little but I caught the most typical "good ones".
They like to occur as the secondary base current passes through zero (max
Vtop).  They also still almost always go negative (perhaps you can check the
polarity against what you think is right to double check me there).  The
breakout point was very consistent and easy to adjust.  Should be fairly
accurate given altitude temperature humidity...  I tried to clean the balls and
burn off the dust first.

In this case (the big ball) the breakout potential was causing about 100mV or 4
amp sparks!  However, that puts 4 volts across the fiber sender which is too
high for it.  The level is probably pretty distorted.  I need to go down to a
0.1 ohm resistor...

I may also get out the plane wave antenna since it has a much better bandwidth
and such just to double check.  Hopefully this will provide some entertainment
for now.  Suggestions welcome ;-))  I'll try more "stuff" tonight.