TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:17:28 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Again.

I replaced the resistor in the sensor head with a 0.1 ohm.  It did not change
things much except the levels.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Tek00000.gif

So 1A = 2.44mV now.  or 10mV = 4.1A

The head now has an impedance of 0.1 ohms too which cleans things up a bit.  We
still see a 4 amp spike and all but the ring down following it is more clear.
Probably something real there.

Here is a backed off view of the thing:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Tek00001.gif

One big spike and many little spikes.

Here is a closer especially active burst:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Tek00002.gif

I turned up the power (the meter froze so don't know the voltage.  Probably
proportional to base current) the spikes started going UP!!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Tek00003.gif

Firing on the first high voltage peak now which is opposite in polarity.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Tek00004.gif

As I continued to turn it up, this spike just gets bigger and bigger.  100mV =
41 amps!!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Tek00005.gif

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Tek00006.gif

So it appears these arcs are just single very short bursts of energy at this
level.  I tired to get a nice picture but catching a 50nS event is really
really hard ;-))  Maybe I can get it on video...

An hour later........

Ok, this is the best I could do at catching some of the higher power shots...

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020913-1/Image10.jpg