TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:33:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Terry wrote:

> Good news.  The fiber probe seemed to be working most of the
> time so the previous data is fine.

Well that's good.  Those current signals looked too realistic
to be an artifact.   Hope the current probe is fit for battle.

Bert wrote:

> Corona, and corona flashes (or streamers) are all "cold"
> discharges, while leaders (what most coilers mistakenly call
> streamers) are composed of hotter, highly conductive plasma
> (actually more arc-like).

So the leaders are plasma, but the streamers are un-ionised gas
with the odd accelerated electron, insufficient in themselves
to cause a bulk ionisation of the air, but enough when combined
in their multitude to cause a leader to form?

You see, in the back of my mind, I'm forming a hypothesis that
Terry's topload is in fact breaking out rather earlier than
the load current probe suggests.  Could it be that streamers are
forming at around the expected breakout voltage, but

a) they are not bright enough to see,
b) their large number plus their individual miniscule current adds
up to a smooth average displacement current which is sufficiently
smoothed by their large number to be indistinguishable from the
displacement current that we can already see charging the rod and
sphere.

Perhaps the spikes we are taking to indicate breakout actually
mark the formation of distinct, visible leaders, and that a much
less visible (by eye or current probe) breakout is starting
rather earlier.

Malcolm has in the past reported a faint glow around his topload
prior to obvious breakout.

If this hypothesis were correct, then if we measured base current
and rod+sphere+load current simultaneously (average or RMS values
here, not scope traces) and plotted their ratio as a function of
variac setting, then we would see a departure from a constant
ratio. At low power, definately no breakout, the value would be
set by the fixed capacitance of the rod+sphere.  As the voltage is
turned up and invisible streamers begin to form, the load current
would increase disproportionately above the base current.

Conveniently, Terry's rod+sphere is of quite small C, therefore it
should be fairly sensitive to a small additional streamer current.

> http://www.physic.ut.ee/~tomas/phd_plank.pdf

Thanks Bert.  www.physic.ut.ee is not letting me download at
the moment, I'll try again later.  I'm away this weekend at
the final round of the British rally championship, so if anyone
posts anything, don't worry if it doesn't come through until Sunday.

Cheers All,