TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:21:50 +1200
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Terry, all,

On 27 Sep 2002, at 18:54, Terrell W. Fritz wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> At 06:33 PM 9/27/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >Terry wrote:
> >
> >> Good news.  The fiber probe seemed to be working most of the
> >> time so the previous data is fine.
> >
> >Well that's good.  Those current signals looked too realistic
> >to be an artifact.   Hope the current probe is fit for battle.
>
> I have spare parts and all.  I "think" it is ok but the problem seems a little
> intermittent.  No worries though.
>

> >Bert wrote:
> >
> >> Corona, and corona flashes (or streamers) are all "cold"
> >> discharges, while leaders (what most coilers mistakenly call
> >> streamers) are composed of hotter, highly conductive plasma
> >> (actually more arc-like).
> >
> >So the leaders are plasma, but the streamers are un-ionised gas
> >with the odd accelerated electron, insufficient in themselves
> >to cause a bulk ionisation of the air, but enough when combined
> >in their multitude to cause a leader to form?
> >
> >You see, in the back of my mind, I'm forming a hypothesis that
> >Terry's topload is in fact breaking out rather earlier than
> >the load current probe suggests.  Could it be that streamers are
> >forming at around the expected breakout voltage, but
> >
> >a) they are not bright enough to see,
> >b) their large number plus their individual miniscule current adds
> >up to a smooth average displacement current which is sufficiently
> >smoothed by their large number to be indistinguishable from the
> >displacement current that we can already see charging the rod and
> >sphere.
> >
> >Perhaps the spikes we are taking to indicate breakout actually
> >mark the formation of distinct, visible leaders, and that a much
> >less visible (by eye or current probe) breakout is starting
> >rather earlier.
> >
> >Malcolm has in the past reported a faint glow around his topload
> >prior to obvious breakout.
>
> That all does sound very possible!

The effect was very real. I had to pinch myself to make sure of what
I was seeing. The most amazing thing was the volume of space the
discharges occupied. The system was operated single shot and the gap
covered (as well as the garage windows) to eliminate as much
background light as possible. What I saw was not a solid glow but a
ball of very faint streamers around 3' in diameter around all sides
of a 9" sphere. If you took successive shots with a camera, you would
see a solid glow rather than the streamers, with diminishing
intensity at the outer extremity. I have it in mind to do exactly
this when less pressing matters allow me to get back into active
coiling. There are so many things I am aching to do.

Regards,
Malcolm