TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 21:07:00 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Re: Top V Probe Design

Hi Paul,

At 03:00 PM 7/6/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Terry wrote:
>
>> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Jennings-JP-325/Diagram.jpg
>
>Thanks, your annotations make things a lot clearer. Are you
>planning to try this unit inside a TC?  Wonder how conservative
>Jennings are with their ratings.

Vacuums are supposed to be able to easily take 1000V/mil so this thing should
be very conservative.  I tested it to 50kV and it holds like a rock even after
probably 40 years.  Good o'l Joe Jennings knew what he was doing!!  It went
from 120Hz to 6MHz perfectly flat.  Then line reflections started to affect
it.  That could probably be solved with some thought as to hooking up the
cables.  One advantage these have is if they were to arc over, the probe would
probably not be seriously damaged.

This unit is probably just not quite right for inside a coil.  However, I am
taunted by the fact the Pearson makes an oil immersion version off the self.
However, it is not shielded and I am not sure of it's f response.

http://www.pearsonelectronics.com/Pages/Capacitive_Voltage_Divider.html

I think we are a bit at the bleeding edge of technology here... YES!! :o)))