TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi All,

> around his topload
> > >
> > > That all does sound very possible!
> >
> > The effect was very real. I had to pinch myself to
> make sure of what
> > I was seeing. The most amazing thing was the
> volume of space the
> > discharges occupied. The system was operated
> single shot and the gap
> > covered (as well as the garage windows) to
> eliminate as much
> > background light as possible. What I saw was not a
> solid glow but a
> > ball of very faint streamers around 3' in diameter
> around all sides
> > of a 9" sphere.
---
That observation gives a thought about voltage
increase somewhat above expected if space charge cloud
favours certain polarity.
The effect should be more noticable in systems with
smooth electrodes operated at "the edge of
breakout"-in a narrow range between Malcolm's
experiment and state of no discharge at all.
Theoreticaly,there could be certain DC voltage
superimposed to regular TC voltage becouse of space
charge "rectification vice" formed region by previous
shoots
if:
a)Suitable BPS rate is applied to allow described kind
of overall charge field equilibrium
b)Difusion cofficients,rate of electrostatic
repulsion and relaxation times between ions low enough
and in line with all said.

..as concerns breakout absence from Terry's OLTC
rod-sphere geometry something is definitely
wrong.Catch in current msms/registration (maybe
displacement vs. conductive current issue problems) or
something is wrong in modelling  max E field.
Even in single shot mode of 38 kHz there can not be
100 kv/cm at your  electrode system without some
discharge going on there!
Terry,have you tried to observe per see in a complete
dark like Malcolm did?Also,you may try reversing a
polarity.

Regards,
Boris

http://sbc.yahoo.com