TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 07:55:54 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Terry,

Can you confirm whether or not the sphere/rod was the breakout
terminal, or were you running into the toroid alone?

Terry wrote:

> I got the following typical offsets when that
> happened: -2.2, -4.2, -3.8, -0.6, -4.7, -3.8, -4.2.

Only when there was visible breakout, hmm, that's disappointing.

> I have not thought about the greater meaning here

It means that 5v times 0.1116uF = 0.6uC of positive charge
had left the topload and not returned.

You must have been peaking circa 200kV on the topload, so
a topload charge peaking at Ctop * Vtop = 25pF * 200kV = 5uC
by comparison, so maybe 10% of the available positive
charge is being forced out, never to return.

Looks to me like unequivocal evidence of that space charge.

With the toroid alone, no rod or sphere, the topvolts for 26kV/cm
on the toroid surface is calculated to be 410kV, so we are seeing
early breakout (I hope Terry says the rod/sphere assy was not
attached!  Can the residual charge test be repeated with one of
the spheres as breakout terminal?).