TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 07:12:31 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] TOPV breakout threashoul

Marc and all,

I remember that post. Do you have a filter circuit between your main gap
and the safety gap? Perhaps the effective Q of the primary was much
lower due to the presence of filter resistors in the discharge path? I'm
not really satisfied that we have any explanation... add it to a growing
pile of discharge physics mysteries for now. Space charge undoubtedly
plays a very important part in the breakout and discharge propagation
behavior of a Tesla Coil. If partial discharges are occurring during
voltage peaks, "waves" of space charge are continually being created
near the toroid (longer lived positive and negative ions - any "free"
electrons quickly attach themselves to air molecules).

Let's assume that a previous voltage peak was positive, and that
positive corona, streamers, and arrested leader discharges have injected
a positive space charge into the region nearest the toroid. If we now
swing the toroid polarity to the following negative voltage peak before
the residual space charge has a chance to dissipate through diffusion
and recombination, the effective E-field seen at the surface of the
toroid will be significantly increased. This should lower the "observed"
voltage necessary for subsequent breakouts (referenced from the toroid
to ground). Under these circumstances, current can be injected into, and
extracted out of, the surrounding region on alternate half cycles as we
swing towards successive voltage peaks. Discharge current measurements
seem to show both positive and negative discharges between the toroid
and the surrounding air.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--