TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco.Denicolai@tellabs.com
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:34:54 +0300
Subject: RE: [TSSP] TOPV breakout threashoul

Hi Marc,

In my novice quick browsing of the field literature of last week, I
bumped into the "inhibited discharge" concept. The idea is that it is
possible to stop the spark growth in the middle, virtually at any time
before it's "complete". How they do it is simply by using a second spark
gap in parallel with the observed one. Obviously this one is set to
trigger at a lower voltage than the observed gap.

Maybe you have just been experiencing an inhibited discharge?

About the energy going to ground, there are several references reporting
that AC discharge works as follows. When the voltage derivative is
positive, the spark is "on", while when the instant voltage is
decreasing (negative derivative) the spark turns off momentarily. It's
not necessarily feeding the spark all the time... And the safety gap is
not necessarely on all the time too.

Best Regards

and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs