TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 22:39:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] TOPV breakout threashoul

Marco.Denicolai@tellabs.com wrote:

> Hello all,

Hi Marco and all,

You have an excellent memory! In chapter IX of Meek and Craggs ("High
Frequency Breakdown of Gases"), Reukema's studies are covered - air gaps
of up to 2.5 cm between 6.25 cm spheres showed about a 15% reduction in
breakdown voltage for the range of 60-425 kHz. Similar results were
obtained by other researchers for uniform and near uniform field gaps (9
other references).

Studies done by Misere and Luft for highly nonuniform (i.e.,
point-plane) gaps showed significantly lower breakdown voltages at 370
kHz versus 50 Hz - 46% lower for a 3 cm gap and 70% for a 25 cm gap.
However, this is most likely due to initial breakout initially occurring
at a low voltage at the point, followed by "long spark" streamer
propagation after a space charge was created. Although the surface of a
smooth toroid is admittedly nonuniform, I would think that (for a
reasonably large ROC) it's closer to the sphere-plane or sphere-sphere
case than the highly nonuniform point-plane case at least as far as
initial breakout voltage is concerned.

Best regards,

-- Bert --