TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:24:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi All,

I was interested in where the losses are in the OLTC system so I worked it
out.  Using the best guess model and using the Lee and Cee values:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020914/00006.gif

I was able to model the system pretty well:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020914/00006a.gif

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020914/Tek00006.gif

I then found the instant power into R1 and R2:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PaulArc/020914/00006b.gif

Finding the peaks to 52uS and summing them up...

Primary Secondary
13292           301
8323            1826
3024            4587
92              6732
--------                ----------
24731           13446

Knowing the integral of sin^2 = pi/4 (it really is a decaying sine but...) and
the time 1/(2 x 38500) we get a factor of 1.02e-5 to convert the above to
Joules.

Primary = 0.252J
Secondary = 0.137J

So we start with 0.94 Joules in the primary caps.
0.252 Joules is lost in the primary (mostly IGBT loss).
0.137 Joules is lost in the secondary

That leaves 0.551 Joules in the system at peak power.  Yesterday, I got 0.5725
Joules for the peak secondary energy so things are fairly close.

So "if" the streamer really is just basically a big single shot event at peak
voltage, the Q's of the primary and secondary have less importance than if the
streamer is a prolonged event.  It certainly appears that the streamer can
consume 0.213 Joules of energy over just one cycle.

So increasing the secondary Q of my OLTC my not have a dramatic effect and
Antonio and Paul suspect.  Primary Q is much more important and that keeps
getting better as power is increased (to some extent since the IGBTs are
showing resistive effects at 3X their rated current ;-))

So it appears a TC should do the following:

1.  Have a high coupling value to transfer energy to the secondary very fast
before losses can eat it.

2.  Primary Q must be kept as high as possible.

3.  Secondary Q must be kept high too but this seems to have lesser importance.

4.  The streamer seems to use a lot of energy very early when the peak voltages
are reached.  Large top capacities may store this energy better than the coil's
intrinsic capacitance and allow it to be delivered faster.  Large top loads
also increase secondary Q.

Of course, this is all for a single shot event.  Streamer formation may
(probably does) need other factors too.  but this indicates what it seems to
take to get them started.

One very odd thing is that the voltages here seem to confirm at about 170kV.
However, many times the 1" brass ball does not breakout!!  That is about 5X
(Paul gets 2.5X) the voltage is should take...  So breakout voltage is going to
be tricky....