TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:03:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Boris,

> How on earth he could get breakout of the toroid alone
> of that size (and it is a quite smooth one) with
> "only" about 200 kV peak?

I had in mind that the various factors that have been mentioned
might combine to drop the breakout field quite a way below 26kV/cm,
say down to 12 or 13 kV/cm.

But with the sphere in place, and Terry reporting 190kV, that
puts as back to the original observation:  the sphere is not
breaking out until much higher than software predicts.

Terry wrote:
> The center of the small ball is 1.9 inches above the
> top side of the toroid.

I remodelled this low sphere to predict a breakout voltage
of 120kV, based on 26kV/cm.   The 190kV breakout translates
to a breakdown field of 42 kV/cm.

So Terry's DC voltage measurements across a base blocking
cap don't appear to be showing any sign of breakout earlier
than the observed leaders.

Maybe the software's wrong.  It reproduces tabulated
sphere-sphere breakdown voltages reasonably well, and the
surface field strengths from which these are calculated are
a free by-product of the cap calculations.  If the field was
wrong, so would the caps be too.  Maybe I've got the average
surface charge correct (so the cap is right) but the minima
and maxima are a way out?  The software searches for the
location of highest surface field and goes off that.
Perhaps that could be out by a factor of 2 and still give a
reasonably good average field.

Is the breakout threshold much higher than we expect when
we're only dealing with a very few RF half cycles repeated
every 100mS?

Boris wrote:
> If so,Terry improved OLTC secondary Q (or it was
> improved by itself) and can do somewhat better by
> changing k factor to see how rise time effect
> breakout.

Yes, or maybe put the small sphere on a CW coil as the only
top terminal.  The breakout voltages could then be determined
(eg by measuring base current) and we could easily test if this
changes as a function of burst length and burst rate.

Note that with breakout voltages this far out from the expected
values, there's no immediate pressure to setup a topvolts probe.
A measure of Ibase is more than adequate to estimate Vtop.