TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:38:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Bert wrote:

> Is the presence of the larger toroid "shielding" the sphere, reducing
> the effective E-field at its surface? This might explain higher than
> expected breakout voltage...

Yes, but the calculations have taken account of that (I think!).

Boris wrote:
> First,I didn't know the position of Terry's small
> sphere was so close to toroid top (hm,hm, seems Terry
> changed something in arrangment while not informing us
> ..)

Terry gave the size and position of the sphere in a post a couple
of days ago.  Lower than the earlier tests because it didn't have
the current probe beneath the supporting rod.

> 190 kv (Emax~42 kv/cm)
> looks like we start blowing away breakout mysteries pretty well.

Well I suppose we're somewhere in the right ballpark.  Given the
low frequency, the DC value of 30kV/cm may be a better starting
point than 26kV/cm.   With this lower sphere, we are slightly
better with our predictions, ie less than a factor of two out!
Maybe the (unmodeled) effect of the current probe (its distortion
of the field) makes the difference, by lowering the surface field
strength of the sphere.

Referring to

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/cmod/

we see John Freau's two setups just breaking out at a surface
field of  42kV/cm and 35kV/cm, so same ballpark as Terry just
measured.  Marc gets multiple streamers when his coil tries to
set the surface field to 53kV/cm.   No breakout from Malcolm's
at 13kV/cm, and Bart's is breaking out with short streamers at
26kV/cm.

Between them, they all seem to bracket a range of values, which
I would like to try to refine with base current measurements
where possible.

I guess we should keep on collecting breakout data for a
variety of situations, just to get a good picture of the
terrain.  We're bound to see a spread, and we might be able
to discern a correlation with Fres and k.