TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:19:17 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Paul,

At 07:55 AM 10/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Terry,
>
>Can you confirm whether or not the sphere/rod was the breakout
>terminal, or were you running into the toroid alone?

I have the mid size ball on top of the all-tread rod in this case:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OLTC10-09-01.jpg

The center of the small ball is 1.9 inches above the top side of the toroid.

>You must have been peaking circa 200kV on the topload, so
>a topload charge peaking at Ctop * Vtop = 25pF * 200kV = 5uC
>by comparison, so maybe 10% of the available positive
>charge is being forced out, never to return.

Yes, the models say 190kV.

>Looks to me like unequivocal evidence of that space charge.
>
>With the toroid alone, no rod or sphere, the topvolts for 26kV/cm
>on the toroid surface is calculated to be 410kV, so we are seeing
>early breakout (I hope Terry says the rod/sphere assy was not
>attached!  Can the residual charge test be repeated with one of
>the spheres as breakout terminal?).

The sphere was there but just far lower than before.  I need to be sure that is
were it was breaking out too.