TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:24:54 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Quiz, Sec diameter question

Greg Leyh wrote:

> with very thin [< 1:10 aspect] coils, it becomes almost
> impossible to set up a *practical* primary geometry
> that provides more coupling than k=0.10 or so.

Indeed.  Perhaps this underlies the problems experienced at
high k factors.  It's not the high k per se, but the
concentration of coupling onto one small fraction of the
secondary.

It certainly causes more energy to go into the higher modes
of the coil, because nature selects the mode amplitudes so
that their sum gives a total voltage profile that includes
the 'hump' caused by primary induction.

It's the same process that occurs in Fourier synthesis of
a waveform with a peak in it.  Lots of harmonic sinusoids
must be added together in order to construct the peak.
But in our case, the 'waveforms' being added are the spatial
distributions of voltage and current along the coil (as
opposed to the time domain) and the component signals are
coil overtones rather than harmonics.  But the principle is
the same.  The mathematician would say that the overtones
(plus perhaps a DC term) form a complete orthogonal set of
basis functions.

Thus, even without unpleasant breakdown, efficiency is
reduced.

The question of the coil's ability to withstand transients
must also have a bearing on primary design.  We might not
be able to do much with this until we can predict with
some confidence, the likely potential that some part of the
system will break down.

So the directly relevant issues are

a) Maximising efficiency by minimising the energy that
goes into higher overtones.
b) Avoiding direct turn-turn breakdown due to primary
induction.
c) Avoiding radial pri-sec breakdown.
d) Response to discharge transients.

and indirectly, the usual primary design issues that
involve primary and gap losses.

There's much work to be done using modeling to try to find
primary shapes which spread out their induction without
themselves becoming targets for discharges from the topload
or coil.  Frustrating that we have the tools but not the
time at the moment.  Would be a good topic for anyone who
wants to get stuck in to some serious modeling.