TSSP: List Archives

From: Greg Leyh
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:51:58 -0700
Subject: [TSSP] Quiz, Sec diameter question

At 01:16 AM 9/6/2002, Paul wrote:
>[snip]
>By way of encouraging coilers to delve more into the theory of the
>subject, I thought of running a quiz game.  Something along the lines
>of
>
>  http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tesla-quiz/
>
>Several of the questions would require a bit of thought and some
>delving into web pages and text books.  Wonder whether something like
>this would appeal to coilers, either as a one-off or an on-going game?

Perhaps if they could convert their Groat winnings
into a plethora of TC parts, at the prize booth?  ^_^

I've been mulling over the common wisdom of keeping
secondary aspect ratios fatter than about 5 to 1.

What effect is it, that limits the performance of a
secondary as it gets thinner?  It's certainly not
Q degradation due to copper losses.

 From a design standpoint it appears that a thinner,
more densely turn-packed secondary offers both a
higher resonant freq (Fo) and output impedance (Zo),
without reducing the Q to unusable levels.

-GL