TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 21:18:39 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] TOPV breakout threashoul

Hi Marc and All,

Am "I" in trouble? (again?)  Gee... Must be 9:00pm again ;-))

Since I have been moderating the Tesla list, I have seen, read , and passed
50000+ posts.  I can specifically remember maybe 30 of them...  I specifically
try not to take credit for "anything".  E-tesla6 works because 10 other people
made it work.  "My" OLTC is based off the ideas of 15 other people...  MMCs
were first gotten working by Reinhard and the "real" testing was done by Garry
Freemeyer...  About the only little thing I can say is "mine" is the fabulous
GMHEICSLR :o))  But I am helping a guy out will probably take that from me in a
few weeks (I am supposed to get it polished up for him tonight ;-))...  I have
posted many things that got no response that "I" really thought were important
too.   Like ball lightning... :-p....

Tesla was the first person to run a vacuum bulb on a Tesla coil.  My post the
other day was just my expressing how cool it was when "I" did it.  I had never
really seen it work that well before.  I am certainly not the first person to
do the light bulb thing, but at 9:00PM Sept 29th, I could say I was the latest
;-))  Today, I just actually went out and bought one of the vapor bulbs myself
as I finally unloaded the OLTC from my car since last weekend.

I avoid the "credit for this and that thing" like the plague.  None of us
invented anything here by ourselves.  We pass hundreds of kB of data every day
between us.  We are no longer "one", but simply "we".  Your trigger gap was
very neat and I really tried to give you all the credit in the world for it.  I
"really tried" to name it after you!!  But I think you found that it really
does not matter...  Ted did the write up and I provided the web space...  The
Richard Quick vs. TCBOR gap thing is just the same...  The fabulous "Terry
filter" is a first order low pass that "anyone" could have guessed...  I just
posted a picture of it with part numbers... Duh...

I concluded a long time ago that there ain't no "glory" in all this Tesla coil
stuff!!!  We do it because it is just so much fun!!  When we get stuck, maybe
someone out there can push us out.  We don't know where we are going and often
find we have been going in very old warn circles.  But the important thing is
we have fun doing it!!  I love to see Marco and others documenting things "for
us" that we are to busy to do ourselves.  However, someone just has to write a
"new" book...  This "web" stuff, just is not the same...

"I" can say I spend a lot of time and money on all this.  "Fate" seems to have
provided me with the ability to do that and I don't turn the opportunity down
;-))  Tonight, I wonder if I need to spend $1000 on a 200kV DC power supply.  I
know "I" don't need it, but maybe "we" do...  We'll ok, "I" want it :-)))  Sort
of hate the thought of someone "else" having it...  Of course, I don't think if
it is worth $1000 of glory, but if it is worth $1000 of fun ;-))  Oh!  Hell
yeah!!!  :o))))

"I" am also a "cheerleader".  Often I find myself encouraging others on and
supporting their work in anyway I can.  Paul's work is an example where a lot
of the math and theory is beyond my brain and time to figure it out, but I do
have the equipment to test it and I really like that stuff ;-))

"I" do seem to have a "halo effect".  If "I" think it is important, then it
must "be" important...  Some people have their mail folders set up to filter my
posts to a special folder...  Gee wiz...  There is not anything I can do about
that...  All I can say is I have been to the "mountain", and seen the other
side, it's just another nasty cliff over there ;-))

I guess my only advice is do what is really fun and you can't go wrong!!  I
have never found "glory" as being of any use.  Probably because after I give
credit to all the contributors, I see that "I" really didn't do a darn thing
;-))  I spend about 4 hours a day on coiling.  The list issues take at least an
hour...  I don't do it because it is a horrible torture but because it is
really "fun"!!  If anyone out there "wants" to be the Tesla list moderator, the
job is, and always has been, "open"!  There is a little glory in that!  You can
join the ranks of Hitler, Stalin, Castro...  :o))))

So Marc, I am sorry to say, that if "I" have grabbed any of your, or any body
else's, credit or glory wrongly, I have not "felt" any benefit from it....
Worse yet, I really don't think there is any "good feeling" glory out there to
be had!  It's all just a big thankless thing we do because we are nuts and we
love it :-))))))   Worse yet, people may think you are enjoying something that
does not exist and you have to write many many e-mails like this one!!!

I remember Paul's expressions of wanting to write a big scientific paper and
Marco's regrets at having written one...  Really... go for the fun and not the
glory...  If this was all "worth it", everyone would be doing it :o)))

My recent problem with 5X breakout voltage discrepancies... It's not a
problem!!!!!  It's just another day in Tesla coiling :o)))))))))))   Goodness
knows what wonders are to be discovered in the