TSSP: List Archives

From: marc metlicka
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:22:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [TSSP] TOPV breakout threashoul

--------------6F203CD3B55F0941BBCD097C

Paul ,All
 The system was using my triggered gap with fritz filter and the safety
would fire if i adjusted the triacs turnoff point above and below
maximum for output.
 Malcolms comment gave me something to think on, even if all activity
was stopped from the sgap there must still have been a charge in
secondary C along with topC. Maybe this energy just had to go somewere,
Maybe this is the result of the short thin streamers surounding the
topload? It did seem that the few stroung streamers instantly reverted
to the faint ones at the instant the sgap fired, these could be seen
over the light of the gap and now i wish i would have covered this light
for a chance to see the ion glowing cloud, and i wish now that i would
have tried a close ground rod to see if these faint leaders would
coalesce into a ground strike instead of the eaqualy placed ones?
 Even though windows XP has given me much grief, i have found a patch to
alow up to 300 fps recording from my camera to disc, I can't wait to try
that!

One other video i have of my 3k coil running outside was giving me solid
10' strikes to an aluminum ladder with 3kva input, when i moved the
ladder to 11' my cammera captured points were the streamer aproached the
ladder and there was a very strong ion cloud emiting from the ladder
itself, reaching out toward the tip of the streamer. this was happening
even though energy was being transfered to ground by the ladder (knowing
this due to the leaf litter burning below the legs.
 Some time ago i wanted to creat an array of voltage sensors spaced
around the topload in a five foot area, I wanted to conect each vol.
sensor into a data aquasition unit to imput it into excell for a nice
graph of the shape and density of the space charged e-field. Just
haven't gotten the data acq. units yet, but still trying.
 I tried looking at both tunned and detunned coils with theIR filter
lens for my cammera, but i haven't seen any IR componant within the ion
clouds. It would be nice to get a spectragrafgh of the light output from
the full range of discharge, then a filter could be gotten that will
allow us to se what is happening?
 Also, In the acidental close up views  i made of the strong discharge
from the 3kcoil system in op. A standard streamer fills half the screen,
this shows that the main conduction channel is very thin compared to the
charged componant surounding it, only slightly less dim but two thirds
the size.
I know all this info doesn't help us much with what we're working on
now?
 The one reason i was thinking about using a bulb for a hopeful top
voltage base line, was that this could maybe give the starting point to
judge up or down the actual topv by what points abouve and below the
base point?
 I apreaciat everyone understanding that i am a young coiler with only
four years in building and two years in studying, so many ideas are
silly i'm shure.
Take care,
Marc M.

Paul wrote:

> Marc wrote:
>
> > When the safety gap would fire the normal 2' or so leaders
> > all of the sudden turned into a series of very faint short
> > streamers, many, many of them equally spaced around
> > the toroid.
>
> Can anyone say what sequence of events in a system (in general)
> leads to the safety gap firing?
>
> What's happening here in Marc's system?
> --
> Paul Nicholson,
> --
--------------6F203CD3B55F0941BBCD097C

begin:vcard
n:Metlicka;Marc
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Mem Builders;R & D
adr:;;6668 hyde rd.;windsor;Ohio;44099;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:mystuffs@orwell.net
title:Tech.
fn:Marc Metlicka