TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:31:56 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Boris wrote:
> I think that reported values in order of 100 kV/cm and
> such for earlier OLTC setting (longer rod +
> sphere)were simply impossible to happen on 38 kHz coil
> without breakout.

I thought they were extraordinarily high. Maybe there was
something wrong with the modeling.  I'll have to go back
over it and check (again!).

> b)the rod itself  gave away uniform corona sheet
> earlier that decreased total field around sphere(i
> doubt but can it be possible?)

I was hoping for some such effect, but there was no
sign of it by way of an early DC component to the
base current.

> there were  quite impressive standard
> deviations given for smaller electrode objects under
> short lasting voltage pulses.However,never that large.

In this case, the readings seem fairly repeatable, not
a std dev thing but a real offset of the mean.

> I have seen the picture of earlier setup.The probe
> wasn't large enough to lower the field of the sphere
> 2x or more.

I though so too.  Tucked inside the hole of the toroid
like that should be pretty harmless.  Now I'll go model
the setup with a solid toroid (ie with the hole filled
in) to check the max extent of this effect.

> I'm suspicious about Marc's coil max field.
> Did the both coilers measured secondary base currents
> during these tests?

No, unfortunately they're all based on estimates of
the firing voltage.  Hopefully we'll get some peak
base current readings so that we can pin down the
stored energy much better.  Remains to be seen whether
that will improve the picture.

> This way ,from geometry of system
> one can simulate everything else.

Indeed, short of a direct topvolts measurement, this is
the best way in.

> If they didn't ,how did you know how much of primary
> orginal energy went into secondary?

We don't know for sure.  The model's working with
estimates of Q for each coil, and these are rough
(+/- 50%) estimates.  Of course, peak base current
readings bypass that issue.  There could easily be
10-20% error in topvolts estimate from this cause.

> I think someone on pupman reported in past  of heaving
> big smooth electrode on higher powered system without
> any signs of observable breakout.Nearly allways, as
> the rule, the coil run in such mode for a few first
> seconds that shoot single most powerful arc.The
> explanation was 'that coil needs more time to build up
> charge on topload'.There could be other reasons to
> explain that (Irregularities in bang size comes first
> to mind).

Yes, or maybe a build up of positive ions, giving a space
charge to enhance the surface field on -ve going half
cycles?   From the point of view of predictability, I
hope not.

> Having said that,along the lines of the latest tesla
> list discussions on atmosphere  influence to TC
> performance,the differences can't be so large.If you
> know what I mean..Someting is "fishy" about all that.

Absolutely agree.  Too much variation to simply write-
off as standard deviation of breakout threshold.  Just
doesn't seem right at all.  I've been assuming that
as we refine the measurements, we'll see some convergence.
I'd be happy to see a residual spread, as I mentioned,
a spread that we could correlate with Fres and k.
And underneath that, we would expect to see a smaller
residual variation due to atmos pressure and temperature.

> Hard to beleive someting like 100% critical field
> change can be ever observed for anyone.

That about sums up the position.  I think we need more
accurate data from as many coils as we can measure. We
must take lots of coils, tune them for best performance
(whatever the operator deems that to be) and then
back off their variacs until they're just breaking out,
then measure the peak base current at that setting.

Obviously the issue here will be to measure Ibase peak
with a worthwhile accuracy (say better than 5%).

Those possessing a scope will be able to simply put
a resistive shunt in the base lead and probe the
voltage across it.

Each coil would have to be set up so that it can be
modeled accurately.  Results would go to a page like

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/cmod/

which I have scripted so I can just feed in new coil
input files and it does the whole thing automatically.

Can we do this?  Can we extend our database of breakout
voltages to get more accurate measurements on more coils?