TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:35:54 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Paul, All -

Paul wrote:

> Can we do this?  Can we extend our database of breakout
> voltages to get more accurate measurements on more coils?

Yep!

I'll start tearing down the John C. lamp tests windings and get back to
the basic setup of ba0.
I can also provide a second coil. I ended up winding a ~4.5" coil
complete with it's own set of components (tor, pri, sec, mmc, etc)
during the lamp tests.

I have one of Terry's current sensors, so I can run the base lead
through and set the scope to capture first breakout (there are no more
toys on the scope - this is it, but should be enough).

When testing for "break-out" conditions, the gap arc voltage is the
adjustment tool. The variacs allow us to ramp up to what ever is
required to arc the gap, but the gap arc voltage sets the topvolts
breakout potential.

Would it be advantageous for "all" doing these test to run a static gap
setup (starting narrow and increasing the gap until breakout occurs)?
Following the base current reading, the arc voltage can be well
estimated via electrode size and gap width. I'm thinking a simple 2
electrode sphere gap. This area seems to be an area of comparison we
seem to brush aside, but I think it would help reduce any potential for
gap related differences that may be causing the wide variations we are
seeing.

Food for thought,
Bart