TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:53:18 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Terry,

> I raised the medium sphere to 7.25 inches from the top edge
> of the toroid to the center of the medum sphere.

> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OLTC10-12-12.gif
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OLTC10-12-12.CSV

We get a nice clean set of data from the coil in this position,
perhaps we can leave the other positions and spheres alone for
now and focus on just this one setup.  It seems to demonstrate
around a factor of 2 discrepancy, so it's a good one to study.

I took away the ceiling and walls altogether to get a prediction
of 120kV for breakout. That compares with 101kV predicted with
walls and ceiling present, and a measured value of 204 kV.

So the ceiling makes a difference, but much more is needed.

When modeling this setup at Vfire=270, I get a base current
peaking at just under 2 amps.   When looking at OLTC10-12-12.CSV
it appears the base current peaks at 2.32, so something is
a good 15% out here.  Perhaps I need to revise my Q factors
because I'm still modeling with the lossy coil, Q=40 or
thereabouts.  Unfortunately, correcting that will push down the
predicted Vfire values even further - another 15% in the
wrong direction (:

Not only that, but I haven't factored in your altitude yet,
which would further reduce the predicted thresholds, so that's
another step in the wrong direction.

I think we'll have to wait until we get some toroid breakout
measurements to see if they are way high too.

Meanwhile I'm going to have a close look at the model for
the above case and compare it with those nice tcma outputs
that you sent.