TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:59:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Paul,

Paul wrote:

> Bart wrote:
> > I have one of Terry's current sensors, so I can
> > run the base lead through and set the scope to
> > capture first breakout
>
> Got anything to calibrate it with?  At least we don't
> demand too much from the scope, just a peak reading to
> better than 5%.

Good point! I can hook up a DC Load, adjust the scope as necessary, and
verify with an AC load.

> > When testing for "break-out" conditions, the gap arc voltage
> > is the adjustment tool. The variacs allow us to ramp up to
> > what ever is required to arc the gap, but the gap arc voltage
> > sets the topvolts breakout potential.
>
> Ok, I see.  Perhaps not so easy then to find the point
> where it is only just beginning to break out.  Hopefully
> the procedure for taking these measurements won't be too
> hard, so that we can collect quite a few.

Shouldn't be difficult (actually,  I think it's an easy and accurate
route). Since were just performing "breakout" measurements, we don't
have to worry running large powers. It would be beneficial to take the
first reading when the gap is at room temp (let the electrodes cool down
between readings).

> It would also be very helpful to measure the secondary
> Fres (with primary gap open) and the two mode frequencies
> (with primary gap closed).

No problem.

> I'm wondering if we should restrict to coils setup outdoors.

hmm, would be difficult, but another good point. The large coil would
have a relatively close wall. The smaller coil could be centered in the
garage. Is there a distance away from the coil that we should shoot for
(3x coil length, etc..)?

> Are we likely to still be able to find several coils with
> this outdoor requirement?

Doubt it. I could setup outside, but it will take some setup work to get
it all done.

> Wonder how many candidate systems that leaves within our
> reach?  We want to get accurate figures, but going to far
> will leave too few systems, so we won't get a clear
> picture.

It will probably thin out the number, but maybe we just need to run what
we can inside and outside. Then we can look at those and better
determine how critical an outside environment is and possibly identify a
sort of spec for an indoor test that will result in reliable readings.

Take care,
Bart