TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:05:49 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

--Boundary_(ID_B8NGhbVqWfASsbeWwAhvSg)

Hi All -

Measurements on ba1:

Fres = 238kHz (gap open)
Upper Mode = 248kHz (gap closed)
Lower Mode = 206kHz (gap closed)
f3 = 832kHz (gap open)
f3 = 846kHz (gap closed)

I seem to be breaking out at lower V&I than expected.

The gap = 2 sphere electrodes at 1.2522" diameter spaced at 0.1" =
7.228kV (North)

Base current varied all over the place between firings (1 to 5.6 amps).
Definate breakout, sparks ranging 3 to 8 inches. Setup is the Pearson
(1V=1A) current monitor fed directly to the scope. The secondary base
wire is fed through the Pearson on it's way to RF gnd. I don't know if
I'm doing something wrong or what. This procedure seems simple enough.

I ran an AC load (10.7A) to check the Pearson vs. scope reading and the
scope was right on the money. So I don't think anythings wrong in the
arena.

Possibly, not the best top load (Al corregated flex tube with Al tape to
smooth out those little ridges). The only other topload I have is the
spun alluminum - but 9" x 30" is a bit much! hmmm, wonder if John F. has
anymore of his small spun toroids left.

Any ideas?

Bart