TSSP: List Archives

From: "Malcolm Watts"
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:56:14 +1300
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Paul, Terry,

On 13 Oct 2002, at 21:11, Paul wrote:

> > Should I put grounded foil on it??  But I think
> > that raises the fields even more to further go in the
> > wrong direction...
>
> No, it raises the field strength, so that breakout occurs
> at a lower voltage, more towards the predicted value which
> assumes the ceiling is a perfect conductor.
>
> But as I mentioned earlier, removing ceiling and walls
> altogether from the model only makes a 20% difference
> so I wouldn't expect much improvement, not as much as
> I'd hoped for.
>
> Unless...unless the underside of the ceiling is accumulating
> a charge that is holding off breakout.  Anyone got any
> thoughts?  Is it worth Terry attaching a few square yards
> of grounded foil to the ceiling?  I don't think it'll make
> much difference unless something funny is happening by way
> of the insulated surface of the ceiling collecting charge.

I think it is worth putting in the foil lining to remove any possible
ceiling insulation property dependencies and standardize the
environment. I imagine those properties are going to vary with
atmospheric humidity content (quite drastically if static generation
of shoes rubbing on carpet under varying conditions is anything to go
by).

Regards,
malcolm