TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi All,
I have already stressed couple of things regarding
brekout tresholds of TCs.
I don't know the reason why but appears nobody except
Paul pays attention.
Please,don't get me wrong becouse of it but I have to
say:None are so blind  as those who will not see.
Therefore,I find useful to repeat them one more time
and once for all:
Classical disruptively run TC effects to inital
discharge processes differ from case to case and are
affected more or less by 5 possible factors.These
would/might be:
a)Coupling and frequency
b)BPS rate
c)Shape and size of electrode
d)Quenching
e)Atmosphere conditions

Regarding c ,an old dusty book I have offers the
following empirical formula for min. E field necessary
for corona ignition of spherical electrode (placed in
a long gap):

Emin~28A(1 + 0.54/SQRT(Axr))

where
r..radius of spherical electrode
A..coefficient for atmosphere conditions(=1 for
standard conditions)
Emin..minimum E field for corona ignition

Hence ,according to that one ,the breakout treshold
field for Terry's OLTC setup could be as high as
40kV/cm.

Another thing.I urge Terry to investigate other listed
things as far as he can with present OLTC arrangment.
Also,some CW tests vs brekout treshold would be
welcome.I know it is much to ask,but currently you are
the only one to do it in most controlable fashion.

Best regards,
Boris

http://faith.yahoo.com