TSSP: List Archives

From: Greg Leyh
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:55:02 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] F A N T C: - It's NEW! - and needs some TSSP input

At 12:23 PM 10/15/2002, Paul wrote:
>Thanks for the data Greg.  Must be the biggest coil ever modeled!
>
>Fres comes out ok, but the Ldc error is well outside the program
>limits at over 5% error.  We'd expect to be within 1%.

It's likely that the # of turns in the actual secondary isn't
exactly 780, the number I used for the simulation.
I didn't count every turn on the finished coilform, but rather
counted the # of turns along a foot or so and extrapolated.
There was no real need at the time to know the number closer
than a few percent.

The actual measurement of the inductance was considerably more
accurate, as it was made with two Fluke 87 True RMS multimeters;
one measuring voltage and one measuring current on the secondary
while 220VAC 60Hz was applied across it.  AC power provided a
better inductance measurement as the digital R-L-C meter gave
unstable readings due to the induced RF energy (0.3V RMS!)
from AM radio stations.  (A Ge Diode was all that was needed
to power a small 8ohm speaker.)