TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:31:55 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] F A N T C: - It's NEW! - and needs some TSSP input

ALL -

I found some info at Microsoft and printed out at work.

The message is:
  ""... A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If
it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to
abort this script"   .....
(or similar message depending on browser and version).

This was written into the browser back in IE3.02 on Win95 systems as a means
to bring focus back to the user after a predetermined amount of time in
situtations where a script may be stuck in an endless loop or otherwise
performing slowly. The time determinant was a fixed value based on windows
screen updates. There was no way to override the timeout - then.

As of IE4, the timeout is no longer a fixed value based on screen updates.
In these later versions, IE began tracking the total number of executed
script statements for the current page with the script engine and throws up
the timeout dialog box when that value hits a threshhold amount.

This threshhold amount is 5000000 statements exectuted as the trigger for
the timeout dialog box. I didn't find info for IE6. NS6 and NS7 react as if
they are performing the same routine. It is possible they are using the same
value of 5000000. This is a "default" value written into the browser and
there is no setting to change it within the options, etc..    however.....

It is possible to change it in the registry. I tried it on my IE6... it
works.
The procedure would be to open a registry editor using Regedit.exe, or
Regedt32.exe, etc...  in your windows directory. When regedit opens, it
should show in tree form (like a file manager). Here's the steps once
opened:

1) Expand the tree as follows:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternetExplorerStyles

2) Create a new DWORD value called "MaxScriptStatements"and set the value to
50000000 (decimal value, not hex).
    a) To do this, go to the top and click Edit > New > DWORD value (type in
MaxScriptStatements and press the enter key).
    b) Right click over this new entry and click > Modify. An input box will
be displayed allowing you to set the value:
        Enter 50000000 and ensure decimal is selected.
3) Close the regisitry.

That's it. You shouldn't see this nagging message any longer. You changed it
from 5 million to 50 million statements. It's the only way I know of to get
rid of this message at this time.

I hate to have people play with their registry's, but thought some may want
to add this in as a temporary solution until we can find a way around this
(if possible). It won't be an easy trick to do because it is statement
execution quantity dependant. Now, had they stuck with screen updates....
arggg!! it would have been easy.

Regarding Netscape 7:
I loaded NS7 at work on a 500Mhz, 400MB system. I had the same problems as
have been reported including running offline. NS6 and NS7 are looking to be
a bad choice for running extensive operations. However, I wonder if giving
focus to the screen every so often would help?

Take care,
Bart