TSSP: List Archives

From: Bert Hickman
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:31:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Paul,

The onset of corona and discharge voltages are two different things.
When the sphere diameter is significantly smaller than the gap distance,
corona onset will occur at a significantly lower voltage than that
required for sparkover. And corona will initially be observed at the
negative terminal. However, for long, nonuniform gaps, long sparks will
be preferentially launched when the sphere is positive than when it's
negative in a sphere-plane gap. Makes things interesting...

The model we should use is closer to a sphere-plane (if Terry adds an
element of control by adding a grounded tinfoil ceiling). The AIEE
tables are empirically derived and require compensation for
surroundings, humidity, temperature, air pressure, etc... In a TC
environment, the onset of corona may stimulate easier formation (due to
heating from RF displacement currents) of streamers and leaders than the
lower frequency or DC cases covered in the AIEE tables. In the
sphere-sphere case with large diameter terminals and comparatively short
gaps, only a spark discharge occurs with no steady or pulsed corona.
Believe your assessment is probably correct...

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman