TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:54:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi All,

Further to last message, I'm definately an idiot, but
unfortunately the model is correct after all.  There was
a typo in my test setup involving the North report formula.

Having fixed that, the model agrees with North again.
The error on max surface field is circa 0.5% for a sphere well
above the groundplane, and deteriorates as the sphere becomes
lower, reaching 5% error when the sphere-plane gap equals the
sphere radius.

Oh well.

I think there's something wrong with fig 7-4 on p59.
The formulas for sphere-sphere peak gradient only make
sense if the spheres in fig 7-4 are at +/-V/2 rather
than +/-V.   In other words, the formulas seem to be
correct if V is taken as the differential voltage between
the spheres, rather than the voltage between either sphere
and a zero of potential at infinity.  Can someone check this
conclusion?