TSSP: List Archives

From: "Terrell W. Fritz"
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:20:38 -0600
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Paul,

At 07:44 AM 10/18/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>There's something wrong with the modeling software.
>
>Something's wrong and I'm an idiot.  I'll figure it all out
>and report back later today, but for now, hold off on worrying
>further about model/measure discrepancies on breakout. Was
>too tired to figure it out last night, so either the mistake
>is in the model, or the stuff I set up last night to run
>the tests.

I would like to think you are a genius!  If you are an idiot, that makes me
like an ameba ;-))

I was thinking... I do have nice a 0-50kV DC power supply.  Maybe I could feed
a sphere DC to check for breakout.   The X-ray supply reads to uAmps.  All
calibrated 4 digit display stuff...

I have been busy so have not gotten much done since last report.  I due mean to
make the grounded foil movable ceiling thing and do the cap in the secondary
ground stuff.

>Terry,
>Does the AIEE have spark-gap voltages for sphere-plane discharges?
>For our purposes these would be much better.  Any other good
>sources of data?

I think that old chart is about 50 years old (at least!).  I am sure it is
empirical and probably pretty accurate since it is sort of "the" standard.  No
other charts like it are in the old CRC book.  Perhaps more modern books have
better tables.  I think it is for actual voltage breakdown (spark) rather than
just corona.