TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:17:50 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] F A N T C: - It's NEW! - and needs some TSSP input

Hi Greg, Paul,

Greg Leyh wrote:

> The r2=r1+ypilson rule seems reasonable.  I'm not sure that
> anything really needs to be done, other than perhaps adding
> it as a footnote in the help window for 'Define Primary'?

True, a footnote can be used, but I should be able to allow for this by
checking the number of turns. If 1, then allow r1=r2 as long as their
not 0. It's on my to-do list. At the moment, I'm still working on NS7
issues.

> I'm trying out some impractical coil dimensions now, and I
> was wondering what the limits on physical dimensions should
> be for this algorithm, if any, to maintain accuracy.

Inductance here is Ldc and other influences are not rolled up into the
compuation as it is with Ces, etc..

Paul, I did notice an issue with all inductances while probing through
Gregs loop. If I run one analysis, I'll get the same value as Greg.
However, should I run a second, third, etc.. analysis, L increases
consecutively. This is performing a var coil = G.install_coil (....) and
for each run, a new coil is being installed and inductances increase
accordingly.

G.reset() sets the rings to 0, however, I need some method to either
check for previously installed components or simply a method to clear
out any installed objects if they exist. Similar to a G.reset(), maybe
G.remove()?. Also, if I perform a G.remove(coil) and the coil doesn't
exist, it will error out. However, if it could simply return false in
that situation, it may prove advantageous in other areas.

> Given the following inputs for the coil dimensions:
> Inside = 240
> Outside = 240.1
> Bottom = 0
> Top = 0
> Turns = 1
> FANTC yields 66.44uH for the primary calculator, and
> 0.07mH for the secondary calculator.
> (BTW, the algorithm appears to not yield any results if
> the primary and secondary have identical dimensions; a
> silly case though, I'll admit.)

Interesting. I couldn't reproduce this. I entered the same dimensions
and both secondary and primary ran ok (however, both increased L on
consecutive runs as mentioned above).

> To resolve the wide range in calculated results, I set out
> a 20ft diameter circle of RG-174 coax cable in the parking
> lot and measured the inductance of the outer jacket (~0.1" dia).
> The inductance meter gave 32uH, measured at 1kHz.
>
> Perhaps the measurement is skewed by physical factors, such
> as random bits of metal under the asphalt, although the test
> was done over a recently laid patch of asphalt with no metal
> remesh.  Does this coil have proportions that incur high
> calculation errors?

I'll have to let Paul answer those.

Take care,
Bart