TSSP: List Archives

From: "Barton B. Anderson"
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:00:21 -0700
Subject: Re: [TSSP] F A N T C: - It's NEW! - and needs some TSSP input

--Boundary_(ID_SoOSaFgpAyLdFv2fUNH+7Q)

Hi All -

I uploaded version x.7c of Fantc
http://www.classictesla.com/fantc/fantc.html

and the zip is  here
http://www.classictesla.com/fantc/

** We can now run single turn loops with the same r1, r2 values as long
as the turns are 1.
** NS7 cannot display applet. Appears to be a Sun Java 2 specific
delema.Will have to wait for Java Sun to fix.
** I'm also still looking for NS long execution time workaround to
warning messages (not a big deal, but still looking).
** I still need to find cause to groundplane not showing up in drawing
applet when inches is selected.

Greg, I ran your single turn loop in NS7 (r1=120, r2=120, h1=0, h2=0,
turns=1, wire diam= .1)

Primary Inductance (L1): 31.07 uH (looks about right).

Below are a list of changes to version x.7c.
Take care,
Bart

---------------------------------
version x.7c:

1) Allowed validation of inductance when r1=r2 & h1=h2 if turns = 1 and
r1=r2 is not 0 (single turn loops).

2) Repaired J_input.js calculations made to wire radius where L was
increasing due to
   calculations occuring each time upon a global variable s_wirad
(causing wire radius
   to get smaller and smaller on each consecutive run). The global
variable is now set to the form value.

3) Added notes (via link) about browser quirks, updated various notes.

4) Added message in run box on main form to identify when a run is
complete should the output window be open
   but not in the front.

5) Pulling in geotc.js version 2.2.

Take care,
Bart

Paul wrote:

> [...]
>

>>For a single-turn coil 20ft in diameter with a 0.1" dia conductor:
>>The Wheeler formulas yield 30uH and 26.6uH respectively.
>>The Maxwell 3D 9.0 field simulator yields 51uH.
>>

>>Does this coil have proportions that incur high calculation errors?
>>

>No, should come out pretty accurately, around 31uH.
>

>>Inside = 240
>>Outside = 240.1
>>

>Enter half these values, fantc is expecting the radius.
>
>The inductance calcs will work happily with
>
>   r1=r2=any, h1=h2=any, turns=any,
>
>and won't mind if the two coils intersect or overlap each other.
>If coil1 = coil2 in all dimensions, then we expect L1=L2=M and k=1,
>ie a bifilar winding.
>
>The condition r1=r2=any, h1=h2=any,  will blow up the capacitance
>calcs however, because the winding has no surface area.  The surface
>area is
>
>   pi * (r1+r2) * sqrt((r1-r2)^2 + (h1-h2)^2)
>
>which might work as a cross check when tested > 0.
>
>Bart wrote:
>

>>if I perform a G.remove(coil) and the coil doesn't exist, it will
>>error out. However, if it could simply return false in that
>>situation,...
>>

>Ok, as of geotc 2.2, G.remove( object) now returns true if the
>object was found and removed, otherwise false.
>

>--
>Paul Nicholson,
>--

--Boundary_(ID_SoOSaFgpAyLdFv2fUNH+7Q)

Hi All -

I uploaded version x.7c of Fantc
http://www.classictesla.com/fantc/fantc.html

and the zip is  here
http://www.classictesla.com/fantc/

** We can now run single turn loops with the same r1, r2 values as long as the turns are 1.
** NS7 cannot display applet. Appears to be a Sun Java 2 specific delema.Will have to wait for Java Sun to fix.
** I'm also still looking for NS long execution time workaround to warning messages (not a big deal, but still looking).
** I still need to find cause to groundplane not showing up in drawing applet when inches is selected.

Greg, I ran your single turn loop in NS7 (r1=120, r2=120, h1=0, h2=0, turns=1, wire diam= .1)
Primary Inductance (L1): 31.07 uH (looks about right).
Below are a list of changes to version x.7c.
Take care,
Bart

---------------------------------
version x.7c:

1) Allowed validation of inductance when r1=r2 & h1=h2 if turns = 1 and r1=r2 is not 0 (single turn loops).

2) Repaired J_input.js calculations made to wire radius where L was increasing due to
   calculations occuring each time upon a global variable s_wirad (causing wire radius
   to get smaller and smaller on each consecutive run). The global variable is now set to the form value.

3) Added notes (via link) about browser quirks, updated various notes.

4) Added message in run box on main form to identify when a run is complete should the output window be open

.

Take care,
Bart