TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:16:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Bert wrote:
> Dr. J. R. Lucas...he's quite a prolific author!

Indeed.

http://www.elect.mrt.ac.lk/lucas.htm

> http://elect.mrt.ac.lk/pdf_notes.htm

Lots of EE101 and EE201 undergrad docs if anyone wants
to brush up on the basics.

Interesting to read about the various time lags, we've
got the 'statistical lag' while we wait for a seed electron
to come by, followed by a 'formative lag' during which avalanches
develop.

I see we have three voltages to worry about, in ascending order
of volts,

a)  DCV: disruptive critical voltage,
b)  COV: visual corona onset voltage,
c)  BV: breakdown voltage,

and I guess it's the DCV that corresponds to 30kV/cm.
I think perhaps Terry is only registering the last one on OLTC.

The stuff about conditions for stable corona is very interesting
(chapter 1, page 20).

We might be able to use this to construct a model.  We can try to
model the virtual growth of the terminal electrode until it
reaches the point where corona is no longer stable, ie further
increase in corona causes enhanced rather than reduced field,
so at that point presumably streamer/leader development follows
rapidly.