TSSP: List Archives

From: Marco.Denicolai@tellabs.com
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:08:20 +0300
Subject: RE: [TSSP] Top Voltage

Hi Paul,

I think I can find that article, probably in paper form (to be scanned
and emailed).
Gallimberti has been very active in this field, as Les Renardiers (?)
group and others.
There is a huge amount of material available on spark propagation, long
gaps, space charge, etc.

I am really keen to gather those papers, but I would like you first to
specify exactly what you are looking for.

I am developing myself an interest in researching on how the bang
number, period and amplitude (disruptive TC) affects the spark channel
formation. There are 3 possibilities:
1. I get no grant so probably there will be no research (I mean myself)
2. I get the smaller grant, so next year I'll perform the "poor man"
research, limited to current, voltage and "visual" measurements
3. I get also the bigger grant, so next year we'll buy a high-speed
camera (10000 pict/s). I'll be able then to film the spark formation at
that impressive rate.

As you have probably noticed, the majority of the conducted research
uses DC or a single surge pulse. Research with AC, bursts or repeated
pulses is much more limited. Things change under those conditions!

That's why I am asking: what do you intend to find out? I see the danger
to dive deep into a sea of surge stimulated discharge literature, only
to reach for the surface after several months just to state " Ok, we
have measured the same parameters: they just follow a different law".

Please, let me know precisely what we are looking for, so that I can
gather the right papers to you.

Best Regards

P.S. Did you notice this? Large gaps, reactivation, difference from the
basic leader. And old fox Gallimberti has put also his nouse there.
Sounds interesting...

   RECORD NO.:  2818748 INSPEC Abstract No: A87020975; B87011984
       AUTHOR:  Bertazzi, A.; Pigini, A.; Rizzi, G.; Hartmann, G.;
Hutzler,
                B.; Riquel, G.; Diaz, R.; Brambilla, R.; Gallimberti,
I.;
                Baldo, G.; Badaloni, A.; Pesavento, G.-C.; Stangherlin,
S.;
                Poli, E.; Crichton, G.C.; McAllister, I.W.; Vibholm, S.;

                Ruhling, F.; Domens, P.; Gibert, A.; Davies, A.J.;
Turri,
                R.; Waters, R.T.; Rowlands, A.R.; Martinez, A.R.
  CORP SOURCE:  CESI, Milano, Italy
        TITLE:  Double impulse tests of long airgaps. II. Leader decay
and
                reactivation
       SOURCE:  IEE Proceedings A (Physical Science, Measurement and
                Instrumentation, Management and Education, Reviews),
                vol.133, no.7, p. 410-37
         ISSN:  0143-702X
        CODEN:  IPPRDI
PLACE OF PUBL:  UK
TRANSLATED IN:  A02
     LANGUAGE:  English
         YEAR:  Oct. 1986
 COPYRIGHT NO:  0143-702X/86/$2.00+0.00
    TREATMENT:  X Experimental
     ABSTRACT:  For pt.I see ibid., vol.133, no.7, p.395-409 (Oct.
1986).
                The behaviour of large air-insulated structures
subjected to
                complex multiple-peak surge overvoltages is influenced
by
                the presence of already established leader overvoltages.

                Electrical and optical measurements of leader decay and
                reactivation in a 6 m rod-plane gap are described. It is

                found that, for a positive leader created by a switching

                impulse (SI) of critical time to crest, the leader path
                could be rapidly reactivated over at least part of its
                length by a second voltage application at times of up to

                about 1 ms after its original formation. For longer
times,
                new leader growth may still retrace the original basic
                leader path. The temporal and spatial characteristics of
the
                reactivated leader are substantially different from
those of
                the basic leader. The causes of the large statistical
                variation in behaviour are discussed. The results
presented
                should provide the basis for improved physical knowledge
of
                the leader and corona processes, and contribute to
improved
                engineering models for insulation co-ordination (0
Refs.)

and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs