TSSP: List Archives

From: boris petkovic
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:12:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [TSSP] THOR: First observations on streamer formation (try II)

Hi All,
Pardon my late reply.

Paul wrote :
>Sorry there's nothing to report from my end.Work is
keeping me me busy but I'm not complaining
-----
I don't have much to report either.Due to work and
everyday's little life hassles,I don't have time to
think about coiling related stuff.As curiosity to
mention are  2 visits last year of man who used to be
coiling 20 years ago.He lives in a neighbour country
but occasionally finds himself on a business route to
my town.We exchanged few ideas,I shown him few
internet sites with reliable TC info , worth in my
opinion paying attention to.And that's it. Interesting
,despite his experience he belongs to old school and
don't get/accept quite big toroid status of a modern
coiling art.15 years ago he constructed coil with
small toroid on it but at 2 kW input it produced 6'
sparks.
It's been awhile since last time we contacted and I'm
not sure what he is up to.

 Marco wrote:

> was able yesterday for the first time to get rid of
> the noise and see
> the new board work as it was supposed to.
------
I haven't had idea the noise had been causing so much
problems to THOR's board.
------
>  With a  single bang I got
> about 15 cm long streamers. Increasing the number of
> bangs I got
> increased length. At about 13-14 bangs I reached the
> full streamer
> length, that is a grounded stick at about 3 meters
> from the toroid.
>
> Nothing new here: this is what I expected to see.
------
Well,I'm surprised I must say.I would except to see
full arc lenght development in range of cca 40 BPS.
'Equilibrium' between space charge contribution and
favorable thermodynamics of arc channel occurs very
early in THOR Why's that?Let alone big toroid with
decent charge support (But still enough
potential),could a DC power be important factor ?
Have you tryed a primary polarity reversal during the
exps. to observe changes?

regards,
Boris