TSSP: List Archives

From: Greg Leyh
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:57:13 -0700
Subject: Re: [o-o] [TSSP] Modeling with ANSOFT

Hi Marco,

I doubt that Maxwell will be useful in answering specific questions
about arc dynamics, unless there's an interesting analysis module
available for it that I haven't heard of yet.  Typically, the  standard
Maxwell suite will perform electrostatic, transient, magnetostatic,
thermal and eddy current solutions.
If you're just interested in solving the electric field, then probably
the easiest way to model the coil would be to represent it as a number
of stacked hoops with different voltage assignments,  rather than as a
continuous helix.  I did this once, using SolidWorks to make the mech
model, then imported it into Maxwell as an ACIS file.

BTW, has anyone here played around with QuickHenry?  How easy is it to use?