TSSP: List Archives

From: Paul
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:31:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [o-o] [TSSP] Modeling with ANSOFT

Marco,

> I have still a lot of thinking/reading/measuring
> before I can tell you anything valuable. It takes time...

Have you anything with which to measure the operating
topvolts of the coil, to the extent of capturing a
calibrated waveform into a scope?

To be useful, the measured signal would have to report
specifically the toroid voltage and not just sample the
E-field flux from the vicinity of the topload.

This signal, combined with that from a coil-top current
probe, would allow us to calculate the total streamer
charge, as a function of time, through the breakout
event.

We have Q = CV for the topload and its breakout load.

So the current into the topload from the coil is

 dQ/dt = CdV/dt + VdC/dt

The measured signals give us dQ/dt, V, and dV/dt, so
that we determine dC/dt and the 'breakout charge' VdC/dt
as functions of time.

If we just sample the flux, we get a signal roughly
proportional to Q, which isn't very helpful.

This is the point on which we are a bit stalled at the
moment.  Sometime ago we discussed the prospects of
a shielded capacitive divider, perhaps running down inside
the secondary.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the commercial field modelling
packages, so can't really help with that.   But I think it
would be easy if you just model the system with charged rings,
discs, toroids, spheres, etc, and set them to appropriate
voltages (eg Terry's voltage distributions).

> I would like to verify the postulate of 5 kV/cm required
> to elongate up to, say, 1.5 m and 1 kV/cm required to elongate
> further.

These average field strengths look reasonable.  It shouldn't
be too hard to verify them.  You could take a topvolts
measurement and then use a closed formula for the field
around a sphere or toroid - ignoring the coil altogether.

I think Antonio and Godfrey were passing a few suitable
formulas back and forth a while back, or were they just for
surface fields?  I should think you could just pretend the
topload is a sphere as far as the average E-field gradient
is concerned - once you get a little way from the topload it
doesn't matter much what shape it is.

It would be interesting to see how your 5kV/cm to 1kV/cm varies
with risetime, bps, etc.

But I think you will need to measure topvolts at some point.
--
Paul Nicholson